Thrilling racing throughout the programme!

The racing season finally got under way at Kirkistown Racing Circuit in County Down on Saturday 25th July, after a Covid-19 enforced hiatus since March.

Under closed gate conditions, the 500 Motor Racing Club of Ireland produced an eleven race programme that covered their domestic championships for cars and Superkarts.

The first of three Superkart races saw Lisburn’s Liam Fox lead from start to finish. That is not to say that he had it easy. Just behind him, Bangor’s Colin Menary, Comber’s Stuart Coey and Scarva’s Brian Jones were tripping over each other to get on his tail. Eventually, Coey established himself in second place. Menary took third.

Comber brothers Alan and Peter Crossen battled throughout for the 125cc honours, with Gilford’s Scott Greenaway keeping them honest all the way. Eventually, it was Alan who took the spoils.

In the second of the Superkart races, Liam Fox took the lead for the first two laps but he was hounded by Colin Menary, Stuart Coey and Richard Dewart. On lap 3, a rare mistake saw all three go past, along with Reading’s Jason Dredge. Two laps later Fox got past Dredge and the places were settled until the end.

In the 125CC class the Crossen brothers were at it again for the whole race, with Alan just edging Peter on the final lap. Scott Greenaway took third.

The third Superkart race finished the day off and it was a cracker, both in the 250cc class and the 125s. The bigger class was a battle between Liam Fox and Colin Menary. Fox seemed to have the better drive out of the corners but Menary was simply amazing on the brakes. Unfortunately, as Menary made a brilliant pass, on the brakes, into Maguire’s hairpin, his engine tightened and he had to retire. Stuart Coey had been running in third place but he too had mechanical issues and had to retire. That left Richard Dewart to take second and Jason Dredge third.

The 125cc class was breath taking! The Crossen Brothers were inseparable! Time and time again they emerged from Maguire’s Hairpin side by side and continued in that manner right through the incredibly fast Debtors Dip left hander. There was no way to predict a winner. At the finish line it was Peter by just 0.136 seconds. Ross Witherow took third place.

It was almost with a collective sigh of relief that the motorsport powers-that-be breathed at the end of a very successful day.

The next race will be on 29th August. Depending on the developments that take place between now and then, possibly there may be a loosening of restrictions on whether spectators can attend. We wait to see.